Saturday, September 11, 2010

Beautiful Bay Window

It's been one of those epic spring days, warm sun, light breeze and the sound of lawn mowers all around.  What better day to catch up on one of those half done jobs that just seems too hard to tackle.  This particular job is like getting waxed, it's extremely difficult and painful at the time but when its all finished the results make it all worth the kicking and screaming.  Yes I'm talking about garden bed preparation, I haven't really done a lot of this before because the idea of digging and removing grass just seemed too hard but I have to say, broken up into small steps this garden bed was quite do-able and I'm glad it's all over.

I was lucky enough that my mum came to stay a few weeks ago and she is quite handy with a shovel so she had made a great start around the base of our bay window. We took cuttings from a geranium and planted them all around below the window but the ground needed work, it had been overgrown with grass and not much else in a full sun afternoon position, it needed some love.

Since then I've used a pick to dig an edge and loosen up the grass. Then I've pulled the grass out by hand, then I neatened the edge with a shovel, then I added new garden blend soil, and now its ready for more plants.  So I've started a row of blue salvia seedlings about 30cm out from geraniums and 30cm apart. I just need one more punnet of six and the planting will be complete.

For mulch I'm using sugar cane mulch because I can get it around the corner for $8 a bale and it goes a long way on the garden. After I plant, I water first then I mulch.  After all that hard work it was nice to pop around the corner and pick up a few more bales of mulch. Only a tiny bit of planting and mulching left to finish this garden bed and that's the fun part. YES I can relax, the hardest part is over and it looks soooooo much better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment