Thursday, September 9, 2010

Where do I start?

I have talked to many people including gardening professionals who have said " I have so much to do in my garden I just don't know where to start!" Well lets make it simple, it can be overwhelming looking out at a disgusting garden of overgrown plants and weeds and barely distinguishable (if any) garden beds. When I moved into this house I loved the layout of the garden but it was so neglected and over grown I really needed to fix every thing, so here's what I did over time, a little bit here a little bit there.

I started with simple maintenance of the garden so I could at least see what needs to be changed.

No 1# Mow the lawn, trim edges

No 2# Remove all dead trees and plants. (These are ugly and depressing and don't belong in the garden.)

No 3# Go inside the house and look out of every single window you can, (I took video of all the window views) Then look out every door to the garden. Its a good idea to take reference photos so you can make before and afters then you'll know how much better it looks once you have worked your groove.

No 4# Go to any potential out door entertaining areas where you may one day put a chair or table. Turn around and look in all directions. Do yo like anything you see? Do you hate anything you see? (Take photos /video)

No 5# Go to the front gate or street and look at the front door/entrance to your house. What is the first impression people get when they walk towards the house? Can you see the house? Do you want to see the house? (Remember you want to love every view)
This process is really important to give you an idea of your over all garden and you may start thinking up ideas for each window view, yes even the laundry window.

No 6# Go to the place you spend the most time at your home, look out the window. This should be the view you see the most when you are home. What stands out? Is there an ugly unloved area waiting to be groovey? (This for me was the central garden feature, a brick edged circular garden bed with a broken bird bath in the middle, missing the bowl and the whole thing covered in peeling ugly green paint and full of every weed possible.  PERFECT!) 

No 7# By now I hope you have  found your first unloved make over spot. So get your groove on and go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment